View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Unhappy I Don't Like My Neurologist

I had my Neuro appointment yesterday. He thinks I'm having an exacerbation and wants me to have another MRI of my brain and spine. I haven't had one in several years.

It will depend on how much Medicare will cover and what the Imaging Center will accept for me to schedule an appointment. MRI scans I've had in the past when I had good insurance were notoriously expensive.

I told my Neuro about the symptoms I've been having. I told him about the left leg weakness and the L-Hermitts episodes. I was mainly telling him so he could update my records. He asked if I had been having any unusual symptoms so I told him. After I got through he looked at me and said "so what do you expect me to do about it?" Not nicely, either. Said it like I was expecting him to perform some sort of miracle and heal me. He then said "you refuse to take any of the FDA approved treatments for MS so what do you expect me to do?".

Well, my own attitude took a nosedive 'bout that time. He does this every time I go in for my twice a year appointment.....but this time it was a little different. He was condescending and rude.

He asked if I was taking the Zanaflex for my spasticity symptoms and I told him I took it briefly but it made me so unsteady on my feet that I was afraid to take it too often because I'm alone 99.9% of the time and was scared I'd fall. He says "So don't take it. I prescribed it to help you but if you think it's doing more harm than good then don't take it." Of course he had to roll his eyes and sigh as though I were refusing to take the only known cure for MS. Ughh...........

I have to go twice a year because my LTD policy requires it. I was telling him what was going on so he could update my medical records. He knows I've taken Copaxone and Betaseron with bad side effects. I voiced my concern for the possible elevated liver enzymes and he blew that off. Said he had never known anybody to have that while on an Interferon.

At this point I just shut down. I agreed with everything he said from that point on and took the paperwork for my MRI. Don't know if I'll be getting one.....but I took the ppwk anyway. I'm just so sick and tired of his "superior" attitude and his condescending comments.

I need to find another Neuro.....preferably one that has MS and knows first hand what we experience. I know....good luck with that.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (02-25-2012), barb02 (02-25-2012), clarkstar (03-05-2012), Debbie D (02-27-2012), ewizabeth (02-25-2012), hollym (02-27-2012), Jappy (02-27-2012), Kitt (02-25-2012), Lynn (03-02-2012), TheSleeper (03-03-2012)