View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Jon! I'm interested in hearing your opinions about cat's diet. I'm feeding my puddy tat a frozen lamb/salmon mixture (cooked) from Whole Foods part of the time. Other times I get a cat food tuna (with little else in it -- this is infrequent) or I feed him raw meat (usually chicken -- ground rabbit if I can get it without the fur -- he has problems with the fur left in). I sprinkle a little extra taurine on his food, just in case.

He got REAL fat and I think he was getting diabetic on the dry kibble. So I cut that out a couple years ago. Even the "good stuff" from the pet store (like EVO) had a lot of added things that aren't natural for cats, like potato or pumpkin. So I cut that stuff out. I think cats aren't supposed to eat a high carb diet.

Even after putting him on an all-meat diet he didn't slim down, I had to start weighing out his portions carefully. I survived months of cat-nagging. But he is finally slimmer, although I think still a tad portly and looks much healthier. He's a 15 year old siamese. I hope to have him around at least another 5 years!

I think he probably supplements his diet with insects and lizards from outdoors (he only spends a few hours outside most days). He tried to bring me a lizard the other day.

Do you think this diet is healthy for a cat? (Meat, fish, mostly raw, no bones).
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote