View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
You are correct teatime. I moved south, and worked until my body would not allow more. I also have immune problems that manifested many years ago and held me from my full potential in the work force. I had documentation from medical issues for many years. You are right, the agencies are looking very critically at baby boomers close to retirement ages, and it is getting harder to get benefits. I live in Florida, where this issue is very much in the news. It was a very difficult journey to get the benefits. ginnie
When I first got sick, the doctors thought I had MS because of the mobility problems, headaches, visual disturbances, etc. But I had no MS plaques in my brain! That's why I refused to accept it. One of the neurologists thought I'd do better in the South so I came to Texas on vacation, found a job and moved! And I did do better for a while but it all came crashing down on me in time. It wasn't MS, it was Lupus!

It is a tough process but I don't know what I'd do without SSD! Or Medicare! I'd be dead, I guess. When I was approved for SSD, I couldn't believe I had to wait 2 years to get Medicare! Going without proper medical care like that really set me back and made things worse!

I don't think most people realize there's a 2 year, 4 month wait for Medicare coverage after your disability date. I exhausted my savings paying for COBRA as long as I could but I was still left with several months of no health insurance! And you don't get disability payments for the first four months after your disability date, either!
Teatime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote