Thread: what a flare
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichael View Post
Hi. Sorry to be late on this, but I've been given something that's nothing short of awesome for flairs.

In addition to the backdrop of Oxycontin/oxycodone, Xanax and Baclofen, I've been - as disused nere months ago - Neudexta, a combination of 20 mg of dextromethorphan HBr (DM) and 10 mg of quinidine sulfate. DM - widely used as an over the counter cough suppressant - just happens to be a powerful NDMA-receptor antagonist, second only the ketamine. Its downside in pain relief is that it's quickly metabolized by the liver. But, it turns out that quinidine - widely used in substantially larger doses years ago as a tricyclicate antidepressant before it was found to cause cardiac arrhythmia in too many people - completely blocks the metabolism of DM, for 4 - 6 hours at a time. To which my doctor adds a prescription for compounded DM in capsules, 30 mg each. (While Neudexta is covered by my insurance, DM is not, but its pretty cheep: 60 capsules cost me $56.)

So, with the worst of flairs, as I was having a few minutes ago, I just take the foregoing - including 90 mg of DM - and I'm right as rain, and heading out to see a movie in few minutes!

One note of caution: even with only 10 mg of Quinidine, Neudexta is contraindicated to anyone throwing a "long Q - T interval" on their EEG. So "pre-clearance" from your internist is a good idea.

I hope this is useful.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I am curious, who is your doc who came up with this protocol?
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote