View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 09:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default "Safer" sports & activities

Obviously no activity is completely safe - freak accidents can happen anywhere. But, for those who are looking to find ways to be active or get involved in sports again, what are some things that we have successfully tried that are relatively lower-risk: lower impact, less likely to cause head bonks, etc?

I haven't been able to do regular yoga, but I did some "senior yoga" where you sit in a chair. The stretches are gentle, and your head is never lower than your heart.

I also did a lot of walking last summer (before my leg and back got wonky). I was working on distance/endurance training for a walking marathon to keep me occupied and build my physical condition.

After my back & leg got wonky, I got sent for pool therapy. I was able to water walk, do suspended biking, and use float weights for strengthening.

When I get more advanced, I was also thinking of
*swimming
*kayaking or canoeing (perhaps rowing, if you want a team sport?)
*bowling?

For those who have healed enough to exercise again, what activities have worked well for you and seem relatively more "safe" for avoiding reinjury? For those who haven't, what do you imagine yourself doing when you feel better?

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Klaus (02-28-2012)