View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 12:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't think that I would be as afraid to drive if I was in a field or empty parking lot or something. On that note, I think that part of it is that my brain isn't good at multitasking anymore. So the chaos on a busy road is a lot to handle, on top of my fear behind it.

I don't have panic attacks before getting in a vehicle, but I have them during the drive whether I'm driving or in the passenger seat. The last time I did drive I was constantly having to pull over because of them, and take time out of the car to calm down. I feel tense until I've left the vehicle. I also know that I'm not as mentally collected as I should be to be have it be safe for everyone else.

I don't have any memories of the actual accident. The "horror movie" reference is that I feel on edge the entire time and get very jumpy. For the first year after the accident I was seeing a therapist that tried different relaxation techniques, and insisted that if I just kept driving and did so more often that the fear related would go away...though that obviously hasn't worked out.

With "Riding" I meant, being a passenger in a any vehicle. Even if I'm not behind the wheel I still react the same way.

The accident was on a highway going around 70 mph. I was driving my truck at the time, when another vehicle flew directly in front of mine from an in-proper lane change. I slammed on the brakes and swerved to try and avoid collision. I know the facts of it from the police and witness report. My truck ended up going head-on with a guard rail. The front half crushed in towards me and went up and over the top a bit. I was unconscious for roughly 15 minutes before they could get me out with the jaws of life.

Like I said before, currently I'm restricted from driving at all. Between my anxiety and blackout seizures that I have, my neurologist sees it as a very bad idea right now. I'm just trying to look ahead and figure out a list of things to try when I get to the point that I can (and make it easier for my husband when I'm simply riding along with him ).

Thank you for the mention of the hypnosis, EFT therapy (hadn't heard of that one before), and the book. I'll look into them all and add them to my list.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-27-2012)