View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default no and yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Funny those neuros don't seem to mention much of anything that might empower us. To Paula's neuro...why do they even have the test in the first place if it can vary so much- that makes no sense.

To measure catecholamines in urine requires a 24 hour urine capture. MY GP cared enough about weird symptoms I was having to have my serotonin levels checked. They measure the metabolite. Surprisingly my level was slightly on the high side. I wonder if we can take that 24 hours and take that as a reliable baseline. Wouldn't we need to do a few times to see if levels change or to give us an average?

Lurking, are you guys going to do this minus levodopa? Can we get a true measure of dopamine while on dopaminergic meds?

What dosage of L-Tryptophan are you trying?
I'd love to try stuff without meds but we can't really do that. What we are doing is adding things to see what they do, and if they work (none have so far) we would try to reduce meds and see how we do.

We took l-tryptophan 100mg last night around 2am (after waking from a deep slumber, see below) but it didn't do much. The bottle says take 300mg but MrsD I noted takes 500mg! We are starting low and titrating up.

I have to say, the GABA really seems like it did something yesterday. Took 1mL in the afternoon and passed out like a log after dinner until midnight. Up for a few hours, then back to sleep after taking 100mg trytophan. Way too early to tell, and I think the dose is too low too, but we'll see. We took another 100mL after our morning meds today. And, just to throw a monkey in the works, we have our neuro appt. this morning! This is usually an anxious ordeal so I am curious to see how we do.

I'll keep everyone posted. I am really interested in the GABA stuff because of the GABA gene therapy group, Neurologix, and their work. Of course the neuro we used to see at a huge, prestigious teaching facility totally poo-pooed that work, but he is lock stock and barrel in the dopamine, whole dopamine, and nothing but dopamine camp.

We'll probably also add in theanine as well, need to look into that too.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote