View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
I was given percocet, and what the label does say is oxycodone/acetamineophen 10/325 TB. Is this fast acting or time released, it didn't say?
It's fast-acting. "TB" probably stands for "tablet" (although it should be TAB) so that you know what it should look like (vs. capsule).

Quote:
I am trying NOT to take any during the day, and have only taken enough to get me to the appt. or where I have to be with walking.
I am allowed 4 per day. I will not be doing that.
That may not be wise. You should take it earlier rather than later, when pain begins.
Quote:
Don't wait until pain becomes severe to take pain medication. Pain is easier to control when it is mild. You should take your pain medication regularly, just as prescribed. Sometimes this means taking medicine on a regular schedule.
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...management-faq
Also, when you wait until the pain is unbearable, the medication won't work as fast, or as well, and you may need more to achieve the same analgesia. Please, take it as directed by your doctor.

Your ankle may be degenerative, but that could still take many more years.

Your big toe and ball of foot joint are necessary in keeping balance when you walk. They may not be able to fix your ankle right now, but it may come down to not being able to walk at all or needing a cane, crutches, walker, or wheelchair. This, of course, is up to you, but I would think you'd want to keep walking - even with a little difficulty - rather than not at all, to avoid possible PAD, atrophy, and/or other complications.

Ask your doctor about this (and maybe his nurse?) They may have some ideas about other folks you could ask (about the toe/ankle matter).

Have you tried any Elder Law support groups?

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-27-2012), Rrae (02-28-2012)