View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 04:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atma Namaste View Post
Dear Lindy
Adding anything new is so scary, as even small adjustments can feel so life-threatening. What change can I expect will be necessary to my Sinemet dose and timeing when adding Comtan?
Hi, Atma Namaste,

I was aware before I started taking Comtan that more l-dopa would be getting to my brain, so was prepared to make adjustments to my daily dose. My initial few days were really good, I was more flexible and I got back a proper smile, rather than exaggerating a smile-like facial gesture! Following on from that I sometimes noticed that movement would be a little out of control, and felt that I was teetering off the pd tightrope, so adjusted down with sinemet till I felt I was doing well. It took about two and half months to get it right, because I waited and watched between changes, but eventually I was on a quarter less l-dopa than previous, and was considerably better medicated than before. I remain on a low-ish dose though I have slightly increased my morning dose, and if I have a very long day take an extra dose at night to avoid sleep problems and inability to move in the morning. I can't really advise more on this except to say that comtan does get ldopa doing it's job, and you are likely to have to very gradually reduce your l-dopa till it is optimized to your needs. I reduced first from the end of the day dose, then middle, and then early, because I have done well on having a good dose to start the day.

Good luck with it if you decide to add it to your meds, and remember to give it time. It can be really helpful if you persevere.

PS (Also be prepared for the inevitable orange stain to your urine )
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote