View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina View Post
Many thanks for the phone calls, messages, pm's and emails. Please forgive me for my late replies. I have devoted every second of my days to beating the spread to my left ankle and leg.

I am amazed that as of this morning the spread appears to be totally gone.

Here is what I did. My PM doc had nothing more than blocks to offer me. I decided against that for the following reasons. In the past, he had not even recommended blood draws and insisted on a virtual colonoscopy for fear of igniting a spread. Additionally, no pain management doctor I have seen has ever had a patient go into remission with blocks, despite many with early intervention, and despite the conventional wisdom that early blocks can promote remission. My pain management doctor has had patients that have experienced spreads after blocks. I personally know of three patients who have experienced serious spreads and have learned of additional examples through forums. Even if I had a block that helped short term I did not want a short term solution.

Left to my own devices I doubled my Low Dose Naltrexone and took anti inflams to deal with the inflammation issues. I immediately began an aggressive desensitization program every fifteen minutes all day long. Basically, what ever my leg hated I gave it a quadruple dose plus more. I refused to give into my body screaming for oxycodone although admittedly that was almost not successful. I went back to 50 mg of Trazadone for sleep issues and night sweats.

Instead of pain meds I used mirror therapy at least every 90 minutes (sometimes once an hour)to knock the pain down enough to move, bear weight and do desensitization activities, (very miserable) and used a TENS unit on my leg.

I went back to my treatment schedule of tDCS twice a day for twenty minutes each and I am still treating.

The only color change that remains in my leg is the bruising from the original fall. The extreme burning, alodynia, sensitivity to air and clothing is gone. The accompanying exacerbation of the addition miserable symptoms (extreme sensitivity to light, loud noises, cold rapid heart beat, sweating all over joint pain, etc. had lessened.)

Basically everything I did dealt with preventing change in brain plasticity and cortical reorganization. The most important thing is that I did nothing invasive.

Only time will tell if I have dodged this bullet for good.

Hope this is helpful and useful information to someone!
Dear Ballerina,

This is wonderful news!!!!

Joydee
Joydee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ballerina (02-28-2012)