View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 04:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
I'd laugh, Abby, but I have celiac disease, hypothyroidism and myasthenia gravis. So, are you saying that it doesn't happen?
No, just the opposite! I know that it's very common to have thyroid and celiac disease along with MG. What I thought was funny was that the fact that the way the diseases appeared together made the doctors doubt the diagnosis, because that would be "too much of a coincidence." They thought it was unthinkably rare, when it's actually very common.

I also noticed (I've heard this one before--maybe I'm the one who's wrong?) that they said that MG is caused by the immune system attacking the thymus. But what I really thought was funny was the way he prescribed IVIg and plasmapheresis at the same time. Put the immunoglobulin in, and take it right out again! While you're at it, maybe you can give him a blood transfusion and a dozen leeches.

I really enjoy the show. I don't understand why they can't hire a medical consultant or six to run the scripts past, though. I guess it's because most people watching it don't care about the details the way I do--going so long with an undiagnosed disease makes me very interested in all medical stuff.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote