View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default short spells of intense weakness

Today my neurologist saw me in the middle of a spell of intense weakness. I get these usually towards the end of the day on days when my MG symptoms are especially bad. They're just like regular MG, except more intense. They last about half an hour. I can feel them coming on, and I can feel them subsiding. When they're over, I'm still weak, but not so bad that I can't stand up or hold up my head, etc. Today, my neuro called me in from the waiting room just as the spell was starting to subside. I couldn't walk in (fell when I tried to stand up). But after he was done seeing me, I could walk out with the help of my rollator.

My neurologist thought this was weird. He said he hadn't seen it in myasthenia before.

I believe that I have MG, and I don't think that these spells are a completely separate thing. They come and go with the MG--I have them when my MG is bad, and stop getting them at times when my MG is better. I've asked this before, but I'd like to ask again: do any of you experience short spells of intense weakness, against a background of more moderate weakness?

I have looked into the various forms of periodic paralysis, and they don't fit. (It's a dominant genetic trait, and my parents and seven siblings don't have it; I'm way too old for the onset; I'm not fine in between episodes; I'm not worse in the morning; they're not triggered by meals or hunger or salt or potassium foods or by rest after exercise; and they never last 3 hours.)

It was a good visit, by the way. It was the first time my neuro has seen me more than mildly weak. He has been great about taking my descriptions seriously, but I was glad he witnessed it. We're upping my Imuran, and I'm going to get a 5-day course of IVIg with the possibility of boosters later on.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote