View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree with Mark that getting started with the SSDI paperwork can't hurt and may prepare you for whatever is coming down the line.

I also agree with Klaus. The neuorologist that I've been seeing has told me that healing of the brain is a long, slow process that can take years. He also indicated that most of the healing in my case (mTBI) would take place in the first year.

The greatest impact to my recovery has come from the neuropsychiatrist, who is the most informed ie TBI and PCS. She has also indicated that the healing process could take over a year. She has also indicated to me that I may not come back to 100%, but that most PCS patients she has worked with attain well over 95% of their preconcussion status. She also added the aside that since there is no preconcussion benchline to measure against in the majority of cases, the comparisons are somewhat relative and are generally based upon patients feelings, not hard data.

It's funny, she also told me of the line "if you've seen one TBI, you've seen one TBI" as being a common axiom in the teaching of neurology and neuropsychiatry.

I would add that your neurologist is an insensitive bonehead with no bedside manner.

Once a therapist (LSW) told me that therapists and psychiatrists often deal with thoughts, feelings and other intangibles and that Doctors tend to deal with problems that can be "touched" and seen. Doctors do not like dealing with intangible conditions because they don't like not being able to effect a cure. Doctors often dislike treating conditions like migraine headaches because they are often ineffective. I believe PCS may fall under this heading. Doctors do not like to be ineffective. That may be why your's is sending you back to the clinic for further treatment. If they have performed CT and MRI and your brain is "structurally" sound, it may be the best course for you.

Good luck.
wdl6591 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (02-28-2012), tamisue (02-29-2012)