Thread: MG and gluten
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellatum View Post
I know that many people who have MG also have celiac disease, or at least a gluten sensitivity. I also know that in minor cases, the symptoms may be subtle. I don't have any of the digestive symptoms of celiac, but I've been thinking for a while that it would be good to do a gluten-free trial. So I'm doing six weeks (yep, it's Lent) without gluten.

While I'm at it, I'm cutting way down on salt, and really de-emphasizing even non-wheat grains. I don't eat meat anyway. That means I'm eating mostly vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts and seeds, and some cheese.

How do I feel so far? Well, it's certainly not helping the myasthenia. It took two big strong men (husband and son) to get me to the car after church today. On the other hand I'm losing weight, which is a good thing because that's less of me for my weak muscles and strong menfolk to drag around.

I know that it can take a long time to see the effects of a gluten-free diet, and it's been less than a week, so I'll stick with it.

Abby
Abby, from my experience you feel worse before you feel better. I have mixed experiences from elimnating gluten but I know it bothers me because every time I eat it now I get itchy bumps inside my mouth, and a few days later I get really bad skin problems. It is difficult going gluten free. I did see an improvement in my MG symptoms about 3 months after going mostly gluten free, and a huge improvement in digestive system issues. I'm now attempting to go completely gluten free.

Sounds like you are eating very healthy, too.

I hope eliminating gluten is helpful for you. Please share your progress.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote