Thread: MG and gluten
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I wish you would've gotten tested before you went GF. It is nice to know if you have CD (celiac disease) or not. It helps in being more vigilant about going GF.

If you have CD, it does damage to your small intestines. So seeing any kind of improvement would take time, time for the intestines to heal. Also, recent studies suggest that it can damage the brain as well. Everyone would have different results based upon their starting point. And some people heal more quickly than others. You're immunosuppressed and that does have an effect on healing.

It can be hard going GF but if you are basically vegan, then it's easier. There's still a lot of cross contamination in products too. Our FDA allows a certain parts per million of gluten in products and they can still say they are GF. There's hidden gluten in things like toothpaste, shampoo, lipstick, etc. that can cause the CD antibody to occur. It's not only what's digested but what comes in contact with our skin and is absorbed. So to go truly GF, you really have to look at so many aspects of what you eat and come in contact with.

I hope it does have a good effect for you. If you need any sources for GF foods or ideas, let me know. I've had CD and been GF for over 7 years now.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote