View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, and welcome to this forum. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Your symptoms sound consistent with myasthenia gravis to me. Sometimes it's called the "snowflake disease" because it affects different people so differently. There are muscles groups that are more common than others for the first symptoms, but it can start anywhere. The fact that some of your muscles (like your neck) don't seem to be affected doesn't rule out myasthenia.

Your doctor did a clinical exam on you, but you should have lab tests, too! There are blood tests for myasthenia gravis. If they come back positive, you definitely have it. If they come back negative, you need further testing. You should have a single fiber EMG, which tests the function of the neuro-muscular junctions. Not every neurologist can perform this test--you'll need to be sent to one who specializes in neuro-muscular diseases.

Please be very careful. Myasthenia gravis (which you may or may not have) can get worse really fast, especially after some physical stress (especially an illness like the flu) or emotional stress, or often for no apparent reason. If it starts getting worse fast, that's a medical emergency. If you're struggling to breathe or suddenly having trouble swallowing, get to the emergency room or call an ambulance.

The hallmark of myasthenia gravis (I mean the feature that distinguishes it from many other diseases) is that it's fatiguable. That means that it gets worse the more you use your muscles, and better after you rest. In addition to that, it's typical of myasthenia for the symptoms to come and go, and get better and worse over days or weeks.

For what it's worth, the way you describe your walking is very familiar to me! I walk like that sometimes. In addition, I have muscles that don't seem to be affected, or at least not much, or only for brief times before they get better. Right now I'm having no trouble with my vision, my eyelids, my chewing, my swallowing, and my breathing. My first symptom was trouble with the muscles that keep me vertical from the waist up, so I was swaying back and forth as I walked. My neurologists were very puzzled by this, and it took a long time to get me a diagnosis. As my disease progressed, my symptoms became more typical.

I hope you get answers and treatment soon. There are a lot of treatments for MG.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote