View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Whoa! :holysheep:

Taking a deep breath here. Yep, idiopathic is what mine is labeled. However, the only tests and studies that have been done are blood work (ruling out diabetes, auto-immune like Lupus and a few others I can't remember at this point) and a conduction study. Nothing other than that. Then I was put on Gabapentin.

I kind of figured there had to be much more to look at and rule out. Blood sugar showed as normal but as you said, glucose tolerance is not known.

I'm reading through the links you posted. Thanks for that. One link is to a missing page...and I *really* wanted to read this one.
http://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/...a%20lNeurop.htm
I'll go back and search there to see if it's perhaps just been moved.

This is a lot of information to go through but it's important. I'm a firm believer that we all have to be our own best health-advocates. As you suggested, there are many doctors of all kinds in all specialties that don't know alot about specific health problems. This is where we come in. We have to educate ourselves about what ails us. On the other end, some docs are willing to listen and learn and others are too arrogant to do so. Thankfully my NP is one of the former.

I was wondering about the CT connection because I came across an article that said something to the effect that in some cases what has happened with the wrists is repeated in the ankles/feet. Since my CT seems to have been idiopathic as well I was wondering about a connection. From what I went through with the CT I'm aware that if there's been permanent nerve damage surgery may be of limited value as far as relief from symptoms.

My other half brought up a good question and I haven't mentioned it because it scared the crap out of me...he's wondering if I had some kind of silent stroke at some point.

The neurologist I was referred to I was referred to for the CT symptoms and testing thereof. He did a sensitivity test using a pin. I felt the pin but not the sharpness but once he got to right above my shins I could feel the actual poke of the pin sharply. He also did basic nerve conduction tests as the equipment was already set up. He comes in from a different town several days a month. Yep, I live in the boonies, medically speaking. I also have no insurance. I do have medicaid for a short time. If this is something that has to be investigated and treated long term what options do I have with no insurance?

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment but will post if more comes to the forefront of my fried little brain.

Oh! The Ibuprofen (600mgs) worked last night. Yesterday, I also restarted sub-lingual B-complex containing B-2 (100%), 6 (100%), 12 (20,000%), Niacin (100%), and Pantothenic Acid (300%). I realize that the daily values these percentages are based on are probably on the low side. There also is no folic acid in it. I did notice after taking it yesterday that I wasn't as fatigued as I normally feel. I'll be discussing this with my NP also.

Barbara