View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow, I agree with a lot and disagree with some.

First, I disagree with letting anyone fail.

I do agree that people have to have their own reasons to stop.

I believe anyone can stop an addiction if others pay attention to them during the moments they will do their addiction. I mean, if someone is a drinker, but they are around someone who wants them to change, the person with them should be with them at the time the addiction would take place. (Example: If someone drinks at 8pm, and you do not want them to, be with them at 8pm and express to them not to drink). Okay, they may do their thing, they will be uncomfortable doing it, and after time will they really want to to uncomfortable? If someone is alone, this is tougher, but if someone has someone, there is no reason an addition cannot be fixed, it just takes a friend. Being alone, or enabling, is usually the problem, if you love the person, just fix the alone part and don't agree to them doing something around you.

Of course, they can do what they want, but come on, if you are with someone telling them to do other things, not drinking, and they drink, they aren't addicted, the are disrespecting, because if it was 9am they would be drinking, so at 9pm they don't have to do it either.

I'm done, and I have my issues, but with loved ones (when not alone) I think I do act different (and I cannot explain it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiix View Post
Obviously this guy in rehab hasn't reached HIS bottom yet.

Personally, I don't believe in rehab. I think people go into rehab FOR other people and not for themselves. Forget Outpatient rehab, what a joke that is.

He is an Alcoholic Period. He has to want to stop for HIS Own reasons not for reasons fed to him by others.

It's nice that people love him and care about what's happening to him but really that has nothing to do with the little person inside his body who CRAVES Alcohol. That little person is calling all the shots as long as he drinks. His little voice is louder than anyone outside him.

Let this guy fall. Leave him alone. Stop giving him advice, he isn't going to listen anyway. You are just wasting your breath. HE has to come to this decision on his own BY himself. If he does drink himself to death it's not his fault, he is an Alcoholic. Like I have said before, there are some people who just never get it, they can't grasp the concept of "Just don't drink TODAY".

If you do speak to him again just ask him: "Can you go ONE day without a drink?" See what he says. Pouring alcohol down his throat IS the problem. Stop that and things will improve. Things are just so much worse DRUNK.

I will add in case you didn't read this before, I am in my 16th year of Sobriety and I drank for 20+ years daily. So I DO know what I am talking about.