Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi there.

You wrote:

"
I believe anyone can stop an addiction if others pay attention to them during the moments they will do their addiction. I mean, if someone is a drinker, but they are around someone who wants them to change, the person with them should be with them at the time the addiction would take place. (Example: If someone drinks at 8pm, and you do not want them to, be with them at 8pm and express to them not to drink). "

Doesn't this mean that one person has an influence over another person's compulsions? I was under the impression that the addict has to be responsible for HIS own addiction. If he sincerely wants to stop doing whatever he is doing, he must own up to it, ask for help, get help, apply the help, make amends, and go to AA meetings.

I really don't understand what you mean when you say "anyone can stop an addiction if others pay attention to them during the moments they will do their addiction" People have been trying to stop their kids from drinking, drugging, WHATEVER, all to no avail. The person who is the addict has to make that decision (for himself) not for anyone else.

It's like when an overweight person is going to a wedding 6 months from now and someone tells her "I'll pay you $1000 to lose 100 lbs for the wedding' The person says "no problem", starves herself, loses the 100 lbs, goes to the wedding, and the next day starts eating like there is no tomorrow and gains the 100 pounds back AND MORE. She lost it for the wrong reason. And I personally know a person who this happened to.

It's very hard to overcome any addiction but I really do think that the addict themselves are the ones to be responsible. And not because anyone makes them. They have to really want to do it.

Just my opinion.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY