View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default New Neuro or More of the Same?

Ever since I had my less-than-positive appointment with my Neuro last Friday I've been thinking alot about his demeanor and other complaints that MSer's here have voiced about their own Neuro.

Do you think that our Neuro's are intimidated by those of us who do alot of our own research and study of the DMD's? Are they threatened by the fact that we ask alot of questions? Know alot about the different new drugs on the horizon? Want to actually be involved in our treatment and the decisions for our treatment?

That's the conclusion I've come to and worry that I'll just move on to more of the same. Same old attitude....different doctor.

Why is it such a bad thing to want to be involved in your own health care? Is he scared that I might know more about MS than he does? I do have an advantage.......I actually have MS and know what I'm talking about. I know how I feel on the Interferons. I know how I feel on some of the meds that are supposed to help me. I know the side effects and how they affect me personally. Maybe they don't affect others the same way. I only know how they affect me. So I'm not arguing with my doctor because I want to be right......I'm telling him how it affects me personally. If I'm prescribed a new med he'd better believe that I'm going to research it to death before I take it. I'm not just taking his word for it. He's never been on it!

I'm just totally frustrated with this whole scenario. Don't doctors work for us....the patient? It's at least supposed to be a partnership......not a dictatorship.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (03-01-2012), Debbie D (03-01-2012), Dejibo (03-02-2012), Desinie (03-03-2012), ewizabeth (03-01-2012), Lynn (03-02-2012), NurseNancy (03-01-2012), SallyC (03-01-2012)