View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Is it possible for a "mild" head injury to have serious long term effects?

My concussion was over 10 years ago, yet I am still feeling the effects - mostly in the form of bad headaches and extreme mental fatigue. My symptoms get that much worse when I don't get a good enough sleep. For me a "good" sleep is at least 9 1/2 hours without interruption.

This injury has really affected my life. Because of my mental limitations, I work as a security guard; this fact is shocking to people who went to school with me. I have, or at least had, a very high IQ.

I read on Wikipedia that PCS symptoms almost always resolve completely within a year. Why then am I still suffering these effects? I can't even read the newspaper without having to stop what I'm doing.
hi shane. i am mike. although this site doesn't get much activity, i can appreciate how u feel. i hope my situation helps u to understand your situation and also i hope it has improved in the past 13 months.
i played jr, hs and college football from about '88 - '96. also my first concussion occured at a young age when i fell out of my dad's van and again playing basketball (i don't even remeber how old i was then). in those 2 cases i believe i lost consiousness briefly although others have said the basketball accident was along time. the majority of my fooball head injuries where minor but they were very frequent and ended my playing daysmy senior yr in college. i was voted recipient of the C. Dale wolfe Award for most inpirational player, by my teemates. i suffered w/ tunnelvision , feelings that i can only describe as like i was made of concrete, and minor brain seizures for well over 6 months and had a hard time completing my senior year. 16 yrs later.. i still occasionally get these symptoms & if i shake my head to hard i get symptoms galore. just the otherday i hit a pothole driving the forklift at work and immediatly became dizzy, dissoriented w/ blurry vison and that RINGING in my head - so bad it has been making me crazy for 2 days now. i typically bcome very short temperd and nasty and somewhat lethargic, or some may say depressed. just a side note. i attended a pretty good school and also have a very high IQ of near genious ranking, so i can aslo relate to your job issue as i always said i was a perpetual underachiever, typically working in retail or manual labor. my memory is deteriorating rapidly these days and i am begining to think i need to see a neurologist. i hope something i said might help.
inspirational playr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-18-2012)