View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I grew up in Southern California but attended college in Alabama as well as my first job after college. After 10+ years, I moved back SoCal at the end of 2005. A few weeks before moving I had a low speed accident where I rear ended a truck that had stopped abruptly while I was distracted. I did not believe I had any injury. My new job I worked from a home office but I did a lot of driving and flying to cover my new sales territory. As an engineer I was also carrying 50 lb demo kit in addition to my laptop and luggage. I was working solely from a laptop. Hunching over it in airports, airplanes, and working on the couch.

In 2007 I knew something was wrong. I had always been active and played basketball for the college team. I noticed that I didn't have my normal strength when I rebounded or tried a layup when my arm was somewhat behind my head. I had random shooting pains in my shoulders. My primary care doc sub-specializes in sports medicine. He MRI'd my shoulders and determined it was just rotator cuff tendonitis/bursitis and sent me to PT. The therapist only made me worse. I sneezed in the shower and went to the floor with pain shooting from my trapezius down the scapula and I could barely get up. My doc gave me a Medrol Dosepak and that seemed to clear everything up for a month or so. I never went back to that therapist. When the pain returned, it seemed to be centered in the upper trapezius on both sides. Celebrex seemed to help matters but each time I noticed improvement I would shortly regress further.

In 2008 I married a medical student. By 2009 things had gotten so bad she insisted I see a neurologist. I started seeing Dr. Vernon Williams though Kerlan-Jobe in Anaheim. He sent me for an MRI of the C-Spine. The MRI showed Cervical Stenosis (congenitally small spinal canal) w/Degenerative Disc Disease. When a Cervical Epidural Injection offered no relief Dr. Williams stated he suspected TOS as well. He prescribed PT for me along with a S3 brace by Alignmed. He sent me for MRI of the Brachial Plexus. The day of the MRI an unlicensed driver ran a red light and broadsided me. Luckily, I was able to brake and she hit my driver side front wheel instead of the door. She went to the hospital and I walked home. However, a few days later my left subclavius was noticeably inflamed and my symptoms were getting worse. I was given another Medrol Dosepak and the S3 brace. The S3 brace seemed to immediately eliminate my symptoms.

I returned to PT as the S3 brace was far too hot and cumbersome for me to wear to work or bed. The therapist insisted I not wear it to therapy even though I was in pain without it. My symptoms went right back downhill and the S3 brace was not longer effective. I quit therapy again. Dr. Williams performed a scalene block on the left side right before Xmas of 2010. I had a negative reaction to the block and formed huge knots at the injection sites. I was unable to get in contact with Dr. Williams. Kerlan-Jobe told me the earliest appointment was in 6 weeks. I left a message for the nurse but my call was not returned. After this, my wife did not want me to return to Dr. Williams.

My symptoms started going downhill fast! All of my pain had been in my shoulders, traps, and scalenes near the shoulder. I now had neck pain that seemed to be coming directly from my C-Spine. I was taking Hydrocodone every 6 hours to function. I also started having a fibromyalgia type reaction to any sort of pressure and could not sit and watch TV for more than 15 minutes or stand to have my wife rest her arm on me in bed. We figured that since the scalene block had not worked that there was no TOS. I found a new neurologist and neurosurgeon who ordered an EMG. I ended up having ACDF surgery C5-C6-C7 2/28/11.

Immediately after ACDF the fibromyalgia type symptoms were gone. I felt great 3 weeks after surgery and planned to return to work. That 4th week the scalene tension returned in full force and I felt pain from the surgical site. They gave me a 5-day course of Toradol and I was feeling good again. I returned to work and PT and continually improved. The scalene tension kept returning every 2-3 months. A cervical facet block injection seemed to do the trick on 2 separate occasions.

In December 2011 the scalene tension was back along with the SCMs (Sternocleidomastoid), along with a new symptom: Cervogenic headache. Trigger point injections would relieve things only for a day or two. Massage would help but only for a day. They sent me back for new MRIs of the C-Spine and brain. No problems with the fusion, but still headache. Back to Toradol, headache disappears but returns immediately after Toradol 5-days ends. I go on another 5-day course but headache returns again. Headache is now getting worse and includes occipital neuralgia. Occipital block trigger point injections w/steroid help but now headache seems to have intensified below the block.

By February I start to notice my hands are cold and numb. I start to have problems opening water bottles and jars which my wife opens with ease. We go back to the neurologist and we are all thinking TOS!!! I try to wear the S3 brace to see if it helps but only a little and just too annoying. I ordered a garment from Intellishirt since alignmed never responded to my inquires regarding their postureshirt. I had ordered the wrong size, but luckily they are in Newport Beach and let me exchange that afternoon. Upon wearing the garment I immediately feel a reduction in hand pain & numbness. My grip strength returned back to normal and my headache decreased. I start researching Vascular Surgeons with TOS experience immediately.
nospam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
LouDC (03-17-2013)