View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
I have a friend who is 73 and she receives social security. she also works part time. She has a pace maker, and cannot quit work and survive with what she receives for social security. Can this woman apply to SSDI and get any kind of help with that.? What exactly can she do, so she can stop work and stop killing herself trying to make it.? She is a friend of mine, and I told her I would ask the forum here. Can anyone help? She works part time a publix grocerys to make ends meet. She needs to stop work. ginnie
If she is already receiving Social Security Retirement benefits she cannot get Social Security Disability benefits on top of that. SSA also doesn't make a disability decision for anyone over full retirement age since they can be paid retirement benefits based on age.

She may consider filing for Supplemental Security Income which may be able to pay a small supplemental check if her assets and total income is low enough. SSI can pay benefits to the disabled or persons over age 65.

She should contact SSA right away and file a claim for SSI benefits. Even if denied right now because of her current situation, she will get information that could be helpful in making a decision about stopping work.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote