View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

We were able to see Dr. Gelabert 2/29/12. We liked him very much. Surgeons are often very clinical with little personality...often jerks, but not Dr. G. We never felt rushed and he wanted to hear every detail of my history. He states that his physical exam of me supports TOS, vascular symptoms appear more evident than neorogenic. He did the exam with my Intellishirt on as it only gives postural reminding rather than extreme correction. He told us that the failed scalene block doesn't rule out TOS (too bad follow up with Vernon Williams never occurred). He wants the scalene block repeated as well as SSEP testing. He recommended we see Dr. Sheldon Jordan but gives us the caveat that he is cash only. He gives us a good amount of reference information and contacts for TOS. He also made a referal for us to get a scalene block and SSEP test at UCLA since they take just about any insurance. I have decided that seeing Sheldon Jordan at least once will be worth the out of pocket expense.

Dr. G also spoke of Dr. Ahn and spoke freely about differences in philosophy. By my recollection, Dr. G does everything transaxially while Ahn will go in both transaxially and supraclavicularly in some cases. I had not read johannakat's "How I chose my surgeon thread" yet so I did not ask about the supraclavicular approach being needed for complete scalnectomy and a potential 2nd set of surgeries being needed down the road when just supraclavicular approach is taken. I will definitely ask at my next appointment.
nospam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote