Thread: MG and fatigue
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Abby,

I've recently been thinking about fatigue versus feeling tired. The reason why is that I am feeling so much better. I still have MG symptoms, but they are mild (truly mild, not the "mild" my neuro has been telling me I'm experiencing all along).

For the first time since I got MG, three years now, I've experienced tired muscles rather than fatigued ones, and I've suddenly gotten interested in doing things I thought I'd never do again.

I went for three walks out in the desert and took photographs of the spring flowers! And I was able to walk far enough to actually experience tired muscles.

For the first time I can really feel the difference between feeling tired and feeling fatigued. Fatigued muscles refuse to work, as does a fatiqued mind, no matter how much effort you put into them...and the harder you try the more they refuse to work. Tired muscles, on the other hand, will work even if you feel tired, even if you don't feel like using them, you can count on being able to still function.

I've had major task avoidance for three years, but I'm not sure I want to call it that. I've worked hard my whole life and don't ever remember avoiding anything, it isn't in my personality. I have "avoided" things since I got MG because I physically and mentally was not able to do them. And if I was able to drag myself to do a thing, I crashed later on and learned to rest when I feel fatigued.

I am feeling better right now and am very aware of all the things I have been unable to do. I'm going to do a few of them while I am feeling better.

I wish there were better words to describe MG fatigue, I like the exhaustion term in the article...MG is being exhausted before you even do anything.

After reading the article, I see that the experience of fatique is good, it encourages us to get needed rest.

I enjoyed the article.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote