View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Biographs-linking compounds, genes to diseases

http://biograph.be/concept/graph/C0024706/C0030567
From the University of Antwerp
Project description

BIOGRAPH is a project funded by the Bijzonder Onderzoeksfonds from the University of Antwerp (GOA BOF UA) that aims at putting forward a new methodology for text mining from heterogeneous information sources. The final goal of the project is to show new results in mining for previously unknown relations between genes and phenotypes, and improved gene prioritisation catching non-obvious disease causing genes. It is a multidisciplinary project within the University of Antwerp carried out by three research groups...

The growing overload of textual information available to organizations and professionals hampers effective knowledge management and discovery by increasing the time needed to find relevant information and by causing crucial information to be missed. Especially in the health sciences this is seen as a vexing problem, as the huge and largely unexplored volume of published literature, in combination with structured databases representing experimental data and background knowledge, might lead to new discoveries.

This project proposes the development of a methodology for combined text analysis and data mining (text mining) from such heterogeneous information sources and its application in molecular genetics/genomics and in knowledge management in general...(oh yes, so very clear!)

(I do not understand this site well; thought I would share with the group in hopes it would be useful to someone...I stumbled across the site searching statins and PD:
http://biograph.be/concept/graph/C0360714/C0030567)
madelyn

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote