View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanitad View Post
When I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago, I was prescribed a c-pap by a neuro who specializes in sleep problems. I was already diagnosed with mg at that point, but wasn't having problems with my breathing. When the breathing problems hit in 2005, I discovered the c-pap was a great help - to the point I started using it during the day if I was having breathing problems. The the first time I was in the ER for breathing problems, I had an ER doc who actually knew what mg was and he ordered a bi-pap for me. That did it! After that, I asked for a bi-pap. There are times I feel I literally can't breathe without it!
I am impressed by that ER doctor. He should be duplicated many times and shipped around the world!
Until now, I have heard of MG patients either being sent home and told they are " anxious" or being intubated.
Very few seem to understand that temporary respiratory support is the most reasonable approach to a patient with muscle weakness that improves with rest. (and this applies to the respiratory muscles just like it does to any other muscle, the only difference being that you can easily not move your arm for 15 minutes, but can't stop breathing for a similar period of time).
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote