View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsy View Post
Wow! What a long journey you had. I'm on the same road, please tell me who the Dr. is that fixed you. Did you ever see Dr. Gelebert at UCLA or Dr. Jordan? I'm meeting Dr. G this week. I can't afford Dr. Jordan any longer and he doesn't take my insurance.
I'm so very happy for you that you are on the road to recovery!!!

Best, Mitsy
Hello Mitsy,

The Doc that performed my surgery is Dr. Niren Angle. He is a Vascular Surgeon working out of Mission Hospital. He is incredible. Great bedside manner, knows what he is doing, answers any questions....I had neurogenic and vascular TOS so my nerves are regenerating at an incredibly slow pace....so even almost 6 months after surgery, if I have a question or concern he will get back to me right away. By the way, this is in orange county.

Now, if you are in the Los Angeles area, I havent had a consult with Dr Gelabert, but every dr/patient/med professional that I have mentioned his name to that knows of him says he is like the master of TOS! He sounds like an amazing dr. I have been researching TOS surgeons for 4 years now, I have heard of all of them in orange county, and a handful in each LA as well as San Diego. Eitherway, I do not know who the dr Jordan is, never heard of him or her, but I would def feel confident seeing dr gelabert. I am unsure of what testing you have had completed, do you have a definitive diagnosis of TOS? I dont doubt you that TOS is what you have, it is just so hard to get a surgeon to actually say "you have TOS" lol, its like the amazing race. Race around the country searching for at least semi friendly competent docs who know about tos and who will admit to the diagnsis, and if they cannnot help, hopefully send you to someone who can. Its challenging. I am interested in hearing your story. How long you have had the injury? What tests have you had done? Dr Gelabert is mainly at UCLA, I am unsure if you are seeing him elsewhere, but he works or worked closely with a Dr James Collins who is a radiologist, however he specializes in TOS. He definitely knows his TOS! However, there was a 4-6 month waiting list just to get an appt to see him. If you dont have tests that definitively show an elevated rib or compression of the nerves or arteries, dr gelabert may want you to see dr collins. Its a good news bad news situation. The tests he does help in the longrun because they help the surgeon-helps them to see exactly where the problem is, gives them a bit of an extra clue before surgery. Collins just does difff tests than others do, he takes great pride in his work and he spends alot of time with his patients....you could be there all day (I was there from 10a until 10p, lol) anyways, I am getting off track!

For TOS, it can be a vicious cycle if you find a great doc who says they can help but cant take your insurance, because good tos docs r few and far between, however I know quite a few now. I know from many ppl that dr gelabert is great. I would love to hear how your consult goes if it went well for you. one thing i learned is sometimes the drs and pts just dont click. just the way it goes sometimes..

ok, well it is almost 330am over here, I was doing some other work and stumbled upon your response. I truly was trying to give you good advice. lol. I can write another response after I get a bit of shuteye...

best of luck to you and your appt!

take care,

Kerry
Kerryucialumni is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nospam (03-07-2012)