View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fun, laughter, activity, and pain

As many of you know, I have neuropathy but am also dealing with a long recovery from back surgery, which still hurts.

So, I have something I want to share, on the brighter side.

Since getting pn I've done yoga, physical therapy, myofascial, chiro, acupuncture, many things to help feel better. But there isn't a whole lot of FUN things I've been doing.

I had a chance to play ping pong with a friend a few weeks ago, and it didn't hurt and was fun. So, I decided to take ping-pong lessons.

I found a ping-pong parlor in Chinatown, NYC, and scheduled a lesson. It was yesterday. I was the only woman, and the only caucasion, in this large, gym-like room filled with tables of players and watchers.

My teacher, who was somewhat understandable, took me seriously and taught from scratch. When he asked me to bend forward, and I couldn't, I showed him the bone growth stimulator I was wearing and tried to explain the surgery. He was totally thrilled I was doing this, despite the srugery.

Well, for an hour, we whacked that little ball, and it was easy, because my form was monitored, and we had a lot of laughs. The teacher said, "If you have ping-pong in your life, you cannot be sad all the time." Rather like something from the Karate Kid.

So, I wanted to share, that just because we're in pain, doesn't mean we can't find an activity which will bring more pleasure and override the pain, bring laughs, and help us enjoy our bodies.

It was quite an adventure, and I'm going back for more!

So...anyone near a table, give it a shot! If you can dance, dance; if you can find someone to tickle, tickle and get tickled, but mainly, see if you can squeeze some old-fashioned silly fun and laughs from that aching body you're dealing with!

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote