View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Ketamine

Hi there! Thanks for your post!! I did talk to a compounding pharmacy today and they told me what you said - that they could formulate a cream to be applied to the skin, and also that they usually mix another med into it.

I am interested in some of the recipes that have been discussed.... I will likely talk to my vet about which of my dog's current meds to mix into it - but my concern is what if I have to discontinue any of the meds mixed into the ketamine? I'd be stuck with it until I am done with that tube of gel.

Still, I'd be glad to hear of some of the combinations.

fireweeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Ketamine is typically available at compounding pharmacies to be incorporated into transdermal gels for pain.

It is a common ingredient in mixtures, and we've seen some of the recipes on RSD here.

Patches? The technology to release the drug properly in a patch is pretty complex. I'd be interested if some compounding places have that ability.

For a dog, you could get the transdermal gel and rub it into the ear. I am giving Oreo her chemo this way. (I mix it myself, because I know how) Many pet meds can be done at any compounding pharmacy this way. They put it into a syringe with a given concentration so all you do is measure out a tenth cc per dose. If the dog has short fur like a doberman, you might be able to apply directly over the area where the pain is. Or you might shave that spot for longer haired breeds.
fireweeds is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote