Old 03-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Migraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful1tou View Post
I have had migraines for approx. 20 years. As I get older (I am 51) they seem to be getting worse and more frequent. I am on hormone replacement therapy so that should not be an issue.

My Dr put me in Inderal 40mg 2 x's a day about 4 months ago. The first 6 weeks or so it seemed to really help. Now not so much. I am also gaining weight. Ok, I know I'm in my 50's now but I've gained 6 pounds in as many weeks. I've cut back on junkfood, I do not drink sodas and I started exercising. I have never had a weight problem before.

Can anyone suggest another prevention med? I take Relpax when I get a migraine but my Ins. Co will only help pay for 8 tablets a month. I usually have 10-15 a month. I also have Phenagran or Zofran for the nausea.

Any other suggestions would be great too!

Thank you!
I had migraines since my teens. Eventually went to a Neurologist that prescirbed the prevention meds. I was also prescribed Inderal; but along with the Inderal, I was prescribed Elavil. The two work together as a migraine preventative. I am surprised Elavil was not added to your Inderal.
This did help, along with some bio-feedback training for relaxation techniques.
They were helpful as well. This was some years ago.

I no longer get the migraines as frequent; but still do get at least once or twice a month. I take Imitrex. This has been the best aid to helping once the migraine has started. The sooner taken, the better. The doctor prescribes 50 mg tablets. They come in a quantity of 9 in a folder. I cut the 50 mgs in half, thus actually taking 25 mg's. The cost for the 50 mg's was the same as the cost for the 25 mg's. By getting the 50 mg's, cutting in half, I get a quantity of 18.

Hope this info will be of help. I cannot recommend the Imitrex highly enough. It has been a Godsend.

(ger)
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (10-12-2012)