View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cervical spine issues--CRPS ???

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Last summer I had a radio frequency ablation of C2 through C5 done by a physician at a Pain Clinic in Minnesota. Prior to this I had two medial branch blocks to ensure they would work, and they did. I have previously been diagnosed with chronic migraine, degenerative disc disease, depression, anxiety and insomnia.

Anyway, I have been experiencing WORSE pain than I had prior to the RF ablation. The symptoms I've been experiencing are electrical shocks/sensations in my neck region and now extending into my shoulders and shoulderblade areas, sometimes into my arms. At times my neck will feel hot, as if it has been sunburned, puffy, and at other times it itches like crazy. The itchiness usually occurs after an electrical episode. Oftentimes, I will wake in the morning and my middle, ring and pinky fingers will either be numb, feel like they are swollen but are not, stiff and/or tingly.

Traveling by car any distance is so painful. I prop and cushion my head/neck with several pillows and recline the seat. Of course, both my children live a long ways away (one is 400 miles and the other is 1200 miles).

I called the Pain Clinic last fall to get their opinion, and they advised that since I was from out of state, that I should see my PCP. I did so and went through three concurrent doses of steroids, which did nothing to help. My PCP has been unable to come up with anything that helps.

A friend on another forum suggested that these symptoms could be CRPS. I was wondering if anyone had experience with it in this region of their body, and if this sounds like a reasonable diagnosis. Would appreciate any feedback, recommendations and/or suggestions.

I plan to make a follow up visit to the Pain Clinic once spring is here.

Thanks so much for your help.
tecky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote