Thread: So it is RSD :(
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

RSD is one of those strange things that really doesn't have a set way that it deals with things. Some people get worse before they get better...some get better and then worse...some just steadily get better...it just is what it is for each individual. I think that's what makes it so hard for people to understand...there really is no "textbook" case for RSD because we all respond so differently.

BUT...I can tell you that physical therapy will be painful. One of the best things I did for myself in terms of therapy was trying desensitization teachniques and those are SO painful in the beginning before you gradually start to normalize the sensations. But you have to do it if you have bad allydonia or you will get that pain anyway from just normal daily stuff like wearing clothes, etc. Same goes for the more physical types of PT. It hurts really bad to move in the beginning...but the more you move and get function back the better you will feel. Where as the less you move and the more you immobilize...the worse the pain and function will get. So strange, I know, but keeping these things in mind helped motivate me personally to keep pushing in physical therapy despite the pain. For me, it was all about the long term goal of getting better and back to "normal" vs. just being in the moment and giving up because it just hurt too much.

Sounds like you have an experienced physical therapist you has had success in treating patients with RSD...and this is very good. But as I said...not everyone responds to all of the same things so if a particular thing is too hard or you are unable to do it don't give up. There are usually several different things you can do to get the same effect so just start really small and easy and then progress up to the more difficult exercises. It's hard sometimes to know WHEN to push yourself and when to rest...but what you want to see is gradual progression consistently in a positive direction. What you don't want is to push too hard to do something, do it, and then not be able to function for a week because of it and then you are set back to where you were before. Baby steps. Which is harder than it sounds because if you are anything like me...once you are able to do SOME things you want to be greedy and do EVERYTHING and then it's easy to hurt yourself and then have a setback.

But if you are early on in this then you have a pretty good chance of successful treatment. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions or even if you just need to vent. Take care.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote