View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Windseeker,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your struggles.

You have made some excellent decisions. The struggles of cold turkey quitting will be worth it. The short term chemical shock to your brain is likely less than the benefit of your brain being free of these chemicals.

As Crystal said, getting your nutrition improved will enable your brain to cleanse of the toxins better and faster. You've ended the nicotine and THC. Now limit caffeine, alcohol, MSG, artificial sweeteners (aspartame is the worst) and artificial preservatives.

Get started with vitamin and other supplements. B-12 (500 to 1000 mcgs daily), a B-50 or B-100 complex, D3, all of the anti-oxidants, a good multi-vitamin like GNC Mega Men, Omega 3's fish oil, magnesium and calcium, and some other things I can't remember right now.

If you get back on the water, find a light weight helmet, a bike helmet is enough or any styrofoam shell helmet. I know what the boom is like. I used to sail Sunfish and Banshees. If you don't know the Banshee, it is similar to a Laser just not a racing class. The peacefulness of a good afternoon sailing could be good therapy and exercise. I used to sail after a day at work.

You probably have suffered that critical mass concussion in December. It has left you with a brain that is very sensitive to concussion or any brain jolts. It may get better but you should be prepared for a sensitive brain. Your skateboarding has likely given you a multitude of asymptomatic concussions and sub-concussive impacts. These likely have sensitized your brain to impacts.

So, take it easy. Keep working at your cleaned up life. And, let us know about your prolonged symptoms so we can help you with ways to deal with them.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-10-2012), ginnie (03-09-2012)