View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default light at the end of the tunnel

Hello,

I am in a similar situation where surgery is not an option, and I feel the need to provide a calming influence here because I too have experienced the panic you are in at the moment.

Another opinion is always an option for you and can sometimes clear up any confusion of lack of clarity your family doctor has created.

Secondly, don't fear pain management, these are professionals that do more than teach you how to deal with pain, so you can get off of meds. Getting meds isn't always an option, as chronic pain needs to be relieved but these professional can help you understand how to function in society, as a family member, as a worker, as an employer, as a mother or father, while experiencing pain. It truly is a process of self relfection and understanding that everyperson with an injury should go through, and the medications you are on won't need to keep doubling because your need for them wont be as frequent thus, your body wont have the time or ability to adjust to them requiring a stronger dose for relief.

Im sure your professional hasn't left you in the wind, call the pain management clinic, or call your doctors office and get a refferal, if this hasn't already been done, and make an appt. As for emergency room vistits, doctors unfortuneately are victims of several cons by addicts without pain, and have become leery and in some cases have instituted rules for not giving out prescriptions in the emerg setting. They feel the backlog slows the need for real patients to be seen.

So to sum up, yes you have to act quickly, but you do have options, and your options are only limited by the effort you put forth to solve your problems. Remember whats important in your life, and fight to keep it safe, and don't lose hope, there are many good professionals that will help you through this process for free when you feel there is no light to drive towards in the dark tunnel of chronic pain.

mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarie18 View Post
thanks for your reply... I did have an mri, I have 3 herniations in my cervical spine and one in my lumbar. I had an accident back in october. I spoke with the neurosurgeon office today. They dont want to do surgery bc my spinal cord is very small and the fluid around it is very little, one wrong move and it will paralyze me...Also if the discs herniate more and compress on the cord I could also lose functions, which I already have in my right hand, and have my thumb, pointer finger and middle finger numb, or sleeping. They want to me to go pain management b/c I will be on pain meds long term, and they can not do that. I do not understand, I do not want to be on pain meds for the rest of my life b/c im a liability with the size of my spinal cord and fluid that protects it. There is no light at the end of this tunnel. I feel like if I knew ok im having surgery and will be out of pain a month later, that would be a better answer. I may get a second opinion.
acciden_victim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (03-12-2012), ginnie (03-09-2012)