View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default finding a way forward

In some of my earlier posts I have been critical of some of the aspects of my rehabilitation. Some of the reports of my condition have been outrageous. There has been a willing audience for the comments of this disingenuous swill. As a consequence of my injury being a work related injury, my integrity has been questioned regularly.

Much of the mental anguish that is suffered by injured workers is due to the fact that so much of their efforts are spent defending their credibility. After receiving dodgy reports, injured workers exhibit signs of distrust even with when they visit medical practitioners who will report truthfully.

The poor treatment of persons with conditions which are not completely understood guarantees an outcome that will be less than the optimum.

At my workplace a co-worker has developed asthma due to exposure to western red cedar wood dust. There has been much conjecture as to the validity of his claim. He has not kept his asthma under control. I could see how it might show that his claims were truthful to himself and to others if his breathlessness was evident. I could see it in my co-worker I wondered if I was exhibiting the same behaviour. I did things that perpetuated my condition.

Whereas it is completely understandable that someone with a disputed condition might behave in a defensive way, this behaviour is not conducive to getting better.
I found that I received a more welcome response to my comments of “feeling good when I wasn’t suffering from xyz symptoms” rather than saying “xyz symptoms are really bad”. This shouldn’t have to be the case, but it is the reality.
Somehow one has to break the cycle.
I wish you luck. Regards towelhorse
towelhorse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote