View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by July63 View Post
Wow, I agree with a lot and disagree with some.

First, I disagree with letting anyone fail.

I do agree that people have to have their own reasons to stop.

I believe anyone can stop an addiction if others pay attention to them during the moments they will do their addiction. I mean, if someone is a drinker, but they are around someone who wants them to change, the person with them should be with them at the time the addiction would take place. (Example: If someone drinks at 8pm, and you do not want them to, be with them at 8pm and express to them not to drink). Okay, they may do their thing, they will be uncomfortable doing it, and after time will they really want to to uncomfortable? If someone is alone, this is tougher, but if someone has someone, there is no reason an addition cannot be fixed, it just takes a friend. Being alone, or enabling, is usually the problem, if you love the person, just fix the alone part and don't agree to them doing something around you.

Of course, they can do what they want, but come on, if you are with someone telling them to do other things, not drinking, and they drink, they aren't addicted, the are disrespecting, because if it was 9am they would be drinking, so at 9pm they don't have to do it either.

I'm done, and I have my issues, but with loved ones (when not alone) I think I do act different (and I cannot explain it)
I have been sober and going to AA meetings for 22 years..I also went to Al Anon for 7 years..and I have seen and heard alot....And I can tell you from experience that you are as powerless over someones drinking as they are..Making them feel uncomfortable will just cause them to do their drinking somehow or somewhere else

Anyone who drinks at 9:00 am has got a problem

My ex wife used to argue everyday about my drinking, and I just went about my business, and started an argument if I had to, so I could go to the bar..At the end of my drinking, I just walked out of the house without saying a word..I could have cared less what she thought about it

The alcoholic/addict has to come to their own decision, in other words, it HAS to be their idea to quit, and get help, and unfortunately, most die as a direct result of this disease, rather than with it

I dont mean to be harsh, but this is the reality of addiction
MelodyL (03-10-2012)