Thread: My story
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 04:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Don't worry about your "mistakes" - we all get it because we all make them too.

Take it easy and rest. The more rest you get and the less stress you put your brain through - like helping your kids with their homework - than the more likely you will improve faster. When your brain is struggling, that might be a sign that you just need to rest.

Do be extra careful about not hitting your head anymore.

I've been dealing with PCS for 19 months. Mark's been dealing with it for years. Every head injury is different. And they say they are cumulative - so next time you hit your head it might take a lot longer than 2-3 weeks to recover from it, so take it easy.

Don't worry about your husband losing his patience. Especially if he's trying to hide it from you - that most likely means he knows it's not rational for him to do so, but it's also a very natural human response to additional stress. It's very difficult for people to be caretakers.

Rest as much as possible until you feel symptom free. Exercise as much as possible as long as you don't feel symptoms. Obviously you'll need to find your own balance between these two things that are opposites and figure out a way to do stuff you have to do around the house - but try to figure out a way to reduce what you have to do around the house.

ie: I'm a neat-freak and dishes on the counter drives me nuts. But putting them away is going to make me worse cognitively, so I leave them on the counter. It's a constant choice between feeling upset that they are there or letting it go because I'm healing from a brain injury.

Going on that vacation might make you worse. So you might not be able to go. Your husband can go without you if canceling is not an option. The health and overall functioning of your brain is WAY more important than a vacation that can't be canceled, not matter what. (I wish someone had told me that after my head injury. A Dr. approved me to go on my planned vacation and staying at home may have actually been the better choice for my overall healing at the time.)
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (03-13-2012), Marina22 (03-11-2012)