View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Me too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clncolt View Post
Hi

I have damage to my spinal accessory nerve caused by a surgical error during cervical lymph node biopsy. It has been 20 months since onset. I have severe muscle atrophy in my right shoulder. Pain limits my abilities, but with the meds I am coping. I am told that the Eden Lange Procedure is the BIG FIx. I am terrified of this surgery, but I know it is my only option unless I want to permanently live this way. Please if anyone out there has had this procedure I would appreciate your feedback. Did it really help, how long in rehab, etc.,...Thank you.
I had a lymph node removed from my neck in July of last year. After 4 MRI's 3 Nerve conduction tests....my Neuros and Orthos sent me to Stanford University. It was there that they knew exactly what had happened. I was elated to know that there IS a new cutting edge procedure where they take a nerve that is not so important and put it through the tunnel where the damaged nerve was. Nerves grow 1 inch per month (If I remember correctly). My surgery is scheduled for April 30th but I am on a waiting list. My shoulder will only have to be stabilized for 2 1/2 weeks and then I resume my normal activities. Will probably have physical therapy.
I believe the person that invented this procedure was Susan E Mackinnon in St. Louis. She may be able to tell you who to go to in your area. I live in Ca. and Stanford was well aware of this surgery. The surgeon that did the damage was a general surgeon and my trapezius and sternocliomastoid (sp) muscle/nerves were BOTH injured along with a rotator cuff tear from the way I was positioned in the hospital.
I hope this is something that will help all of you......I have found a plethora of information on Google about this nasty problem that ALL surgeons should be aware of....
Google "Malpractice Litigation After Surgical Injury
of the Spinal Accessory Nerve" You will learn a LOT! This should NOT be happening to anyone!
Godspeed to all of you....I KNOW your pain.
attipay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-04-2012)