Thread: Crocus
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Because the autumn variety blooms AFTER the foliage by months, the flowers tend to just appear! Not connected to leaves if they still exist even. Ours come right up out of the soil.

The autumn crocus that has large fleshy leaves, often over a foot tall, has a tall pink flower in Sept Oct here. The flowers come up in fall when the foliage is gone. They can be almost a foot tall,
with color on 1/2 of that --maybe 6 in. My variety is a lighter pink than yours. But it is definitely pink.

The other autumn one we have has thin, grasslike foliage, and a light violet flower in Oct. They are smaller, shorter by far.

Some species tulips also have unusual foliage.

I think the only way to know for sure is to dig up and see if it is a bulb and go from there. Take a food fork and just lift a bit to see what is under there. It won't upset the plant much if it is a little lift. (rodents do this all the time where I live-- pesky chipmunks). If the soil is a bit moist you can knock the plant out of the pot, gently and see if any bulbs show along the edges. That will work too. I often knock out my seedlings to see how the roots are coming along, to help decide when to move up to a bigger pot. Done gently and the soil stays together and you just put it back --no harm.

Google species tulips also....some are small and resemble crocus too.

Who knows what is in Australia... something imported, or some indigenous plant? Could be anything.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (03-12-2012)