View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I am in the process of researching folic acid vs methylfolate.

I'll give you the link that karsten sent me about how folic acid may interfere with folate activation and use of methylfolate, esp at the blood brain barrier.

I believe the blood work that most labs do does not differentiate between the two. So at this point I am unsure if people reporting
"good" folate levels, really reflect folate and not both folic acid and methylfolate mixed. This is a long article and uses words like "may, could, possibly" quite a bit.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/3/517.long

Most of the people who come here with test results typically show normal or high folate in testing. But actually we don't know which folates are being tested.

See what happens in the future with your D that you posted. That is the only way to know.
Mrs. D, my test simply says: "Folate (folic acid) serum", which means that you are correct, it does not differentiate between folate and folic acid. Is there a test that will show a break down between folate and folic? If yes, what is the name of the test, so I can mention it to my doctor for possible inclusion in my bloodwork.

As always, thank you.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote