View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Tramadol has TWO actions in the body.

One is to sit on mu receptors and block pain signals (like opiates), but this is a smaller effect than opiates like morphine.

Secondly, it also affects serotonin receptors, and in some people this action is what causes alot of

Are you taking an antidepressant also?
If not, you could try using L-tryptophan, as this sometimes lessens serotonin withdrawal syndrome.

You should discuss this carefully with your doctor, as he/she may prefer you use long acting Prozac to help with withdrawal (and tapering that carefully over time).
But it has been my experience that many doctors do not understand tramadol and hence don't know how to help you.
I tried to highlight your last sentence but don't think I figured it out too well...that is very true, they all say it is not that addictive and hand it out like candy....it it their go to drug if APAP does not work. apparently for some conditions it works like a charm and then when the pain is chronic and neuropathic in a way in which there is nothing mechanical they can do to fix the problem, it becomes a godsend because without it there is no life ( except maybe those addictive drugs they try not to give you). and I don't blame them but now that so many of us who take tramadol for real reason and not for a high and who never get a high from it and never really abuse it at all want to try to come off we can't without the same WD's of all the " stronger, true" opioids.... Well this stuff is really awful and for years has tricked me into thinking it was helping me and not creating the pain so that I had to take it to get rid of the pain until time for the next dose. At first I have no doubt it helped....hate first 10 months of my illness the quality of my Pain was different and I had so many other MS symptoms but about 10 months into it that flare up went away along with all my other symptoms except pain and fatigue.... For which I was treated with increased frequency of tramadol and various ener enhancers until finally tram was the only drug left.... And I can tell when the 4th hour comes and I better get the pills quick before I end up in bed. I carry them in pockets, purses, cars, camera bags, etc....wherever I might find myself out somewhere and need it. Mh neurologist did suggest it is contributing to my fatigue, and suggested to try to wean off...I have done that too many times to count and always go back because life just doesn't stop so I can roll around in m bed for days delirious. finally, I read up all I could, stocked up on a few things to help me get over the worse of it and didn't tell a soul what I was doing cause when my husband sees me start to suffer he always ends up telling me to take one to stop the pain and he does not know the half of what I don't let him see. this time I got farther than ever before and then told him.... He is being more supportive this time but last night I slept in the spare room since my RLS and jumping out of my skin was so bad he would not be able to sleep so he still does not see the worse of it. I can not go to rehab....no money and insurance is high catastrophic. I will not let this fail this time! I pray I am over the hump....still dizzy, brain quakes but not so bad as yesterday.... I appreciate everyone's responses....but for any who think Tramadol is not hat addictive be very careful and don't stay on it longer than a few short days if you must take it and take as few pills as possible. My docs were fine with keeping moon the dose I Was on for 10 full years because I don't think they know yet what us patientshwo have experienced low and what the newere studies will soon be showing...it deserves to be a controlled substance for sure! thanks again! I did find a detox site with lots of helpful advice I can try over the next several days as I can expect at least 10 days to get back to my normal metabolism from what I have read. I can hardly wait to know what is really me...pain and all.... And what is the tramadol. If the true MS pain is still too much to bear, I think acupuncture and the anti-inflammatory diet is next up! My love and thanks to you all and pray for better days ahead! Xoxo
Graclyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (03-12-2012)