View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPATH64 View Post
So sorry to hear of your story.Im 47 female going thru menopause and had dentures put in 7 months ago. Im suffering from Burning mouth syndrome.I feel like Im dying I cant eat its too painful. You have any ideas? Thank so much
Are you saying/implying that the BMS is a result of or caused by having had the dentures put in?

I hadn't heard of this condition before, but there seems to be quite a bit of information on the web. My first thought before even looking was that it sounds like something involving the peripheral nervous system, and sure enough...
Quote:
Some research suggests that primary burning mouth syndrome is related to problems with taste and sensory nerves of the peripheral or central nervous system.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bur...SECTION=causes
Another treatment that seems to work for some is Alpha Lipoic Acid (with no addiction/dependence risk).
Quote:
97% of the subjects on lipoic acid (600 mg/day for 2 months) showed some improvement (73% had "decided" improvement).
http://www.life-enhancement.com/arti...ate.asp?ID=726
Many people with Peripheral Neuropathy take a form of this - Stabilized R-Lipoic Acid. When taking this form, only 100 mg is as effective as 600 mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid.

In the event we're spinning our wheels here, it might be helpful to tell us a bit more (start a separate thread for clarity) about what you know about your BMS (primary/secondary, suspected cause(s), tests, things you've already tried, etc.)

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote