View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Acceptance, moving forward, pushing through.

Well, about 2 weeks ago my symptoms took a turn for the worse. I've had more trouble finding words and even sentences...and overall just using my noggin' altogether. Lots of weird feelings, getting disoriented and even more overstimulated than before. For awhile there, I was kickin' myself in the butt...whining about why it's happening, why I was doing so well and then took a step back further...further than my recovery has ever been, even immediately after the injury (or when PCS manifested).

Then, I realized...there is no sense in complaining and worrying about why it's happening. It just is...and there is nothing I, or any doctor can do about it. Just sitting around at the house, trying to get as much rest as possible...No TV, limited computer time and just laying in bed doing nothing...cutting myself off from the world. It was driving me CRAZY. I would sit there and pick and pick and pick at every little weird feeling and thought until I would feel like I'm losing my mind. I convinced myself into thinking that I needed to be admitted to a hospital because I "couldn't take care of myself".

So yesterday, I decided to just leave the house...and push through those weird feelings and overstimulation. When I first left the house, I was overwhelmed by the sites and sounds of the city. I quickly became overstimulated and my brain started shutting down....but I kept my bearing. I got on the bus and was feeling quite disoriented. I just closed my eyes until I got to where I was going and continued....Anyhow, to make a long story short...I eventually pushed all the way through those weird feelings, overstimulation and disorientation. It started to become manageable. I had a pretty good day/night, got to spend time with my son and step-son and made it back home in one piece.

I figured out that...sitting around at the house makes things WORSE!!! I need to get out more and push through my symptoms...Once I push through and stop worrying about and focusing on all my brain injury flaws, I can function at a somewhat normal level. If I don't get out and stimulate my brain, I just sit here in the dark and quiet...letting my mind, weird feelings and thoughts drive me nuts until I feel like I should be admitted to a mental hospital!!

So, those of you that are a little further in your recovery and still experiencing symptoms...if it's driving you crazy to just sit at home doing nothing...Try to get out of the house more and see how tolerable your symptoms really are. You may be surprised at how well you manage.

Just don't push too hard and make sure you get plenty of rest after.

Listen to your body/mind.

Thanks for reading.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-13-2012), Marina22 (03-13-2012), paige.elizabeth (03-14-2012), xanadu00 (03-13-2012)