View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This post has really helped me out I think!

It made me think about my own breath.

I remember when I was going to Speech Therapy that the therapist pointed out that I had very shallow breathing which wasn't normal for me - it wasn't the way I breathed before the accident I was in. She mentioned that shallow breathing does not allow enough oxygen to get to the brain. When a person's brain is healing they need more oxygen not less! That's why they recommend physical activity for people recovering from tbi's. (I'm not yet able to be super physically active yet, but I'm able to slowly increase my activity levels.)

Since then, it was really hard for me to remember her advice that I take deeper breaths. She and I worked on so many things! There was so much to keep track of!

I've read about it, and it could be caused by anxiety or stress and it can also be caused by an endocrine dysfunction. I've read that some researchers believe that PCS is caused by an endocrine system type of damage because a lot of the symptoms are so similar - like dizziness and confusion. (Like very minimal damage to the pituitary gland, thalamus or hypothalamus compared to other damage done.)

Anyway, in the past few days I've noticed that my breath has been shallow and when I noticed it, I would start to force myself to take deeper breaths. I think I breathed deeply all night long and I'm feeling better today than I have since the accident! I'm still having to consciously take deep breaths - it's not happening without me thinking about having to do it yet - it's not yet a habit. But I haven't gotten dizzy once yet today!
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote