Thread: finally
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxcrystalxxxx View Post
How do you guys learn or deal with the acceptance of your daily struggles? Did you all have an "ah ha" moment and I need to be patient?

I guess I'm just looking for some guidance. My therapist says because I look good it's really hard to imagine what is going on in my head. He says if I had lost a leg or arm then it's pretty final...it's not coming back. A head injury is so complex and so unknown that all they really can do is go on my symptoms.
Hi Crystal.

My TBI was over a year ago, and I still have days where I deal with depression and low motivation. I can't say I had one specific "ah ha" moment, but patience is definately needed. All brain injuries are different and the brain heals on it's own terms and time line, although there are things we can do to help it along.

You talk about gratitude, and that is huge for me. When I get down, I look around and realize how thankful I am to be alive, and that helps. My family also got me a “therapy dog” (world’s cutest pug ) which helps a lot. I’m beginning to learn mindfulness techniques, which I think holds promise for me.

I read a couple of books I found helpful:

"Where is the Mango Princess" by Cathy Crimmins

and

"What Doesn't Kill Us: The New Psychology of Posttraumatic Growth" by Stephen Joseph PhD

Best to you in your continued recovery

Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
xxxxcrystalxxxx (03-14-2012)