View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 11:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Rileys IEP-mixed feelings

Rileys IEP was a dream, it was so nice and simple, all of her needs are being met. Her teachers are awesome and so willing to do what is in her best interest.

I did find out that they are afraid to wake her up when nap is over, She has been taking 2 hour naps at school almost every day. Which I am sure is contributing to her all night parties. They felt like she needs the sleep, which she does. They are a little scared that waking her up will cause a seizure. But they did say that when she wakes up she picks up quicker and better grasps what they are trying to teach her.

My only concern is that she will be visiting a typical 1st grade class for things such as library, PE, recess, art/music. I asked her teacher what level she was working at. She said that it is hard to say where she is because her skills are so scattered. Most of her educational skills are still at pre-k level, while others are mid-kindergarden. One of her big problems is getting things from her head to the paper.

My worry is that with her skill still not being anywhere near 1st grade how well will she fit into a 1st grade classroom even if it is just for enrichments? Her teacher made a valid point, since it is mainly for social reasons, she knows many of the kids from last year and they all are in 1st grade. I know the argument can be made both ways and I am really unsure about it. She hasn't started going yet b/c she is napping when that class has the enrichments. After next month we will worry about it.

Her teacher also said that this is the last year she will be classified as Developmentally Delayed. Remember last year when I was so upset about it? I was crushed to start even thinking about it. But she did say that with her health issues she could be classified as OHI (other health impaired). I know it doesn't change who Riley is but it still stings.

On another note, There is a Wrights Law seminar coming here next month, actually in about 2 weeks. I am going and can't wait!

I think that is about it. I wish we could post pictures like before I have some great shots...
Sarah (14) Aspergers Syndrome
Victoria (16) Above Average Teenage sister
Jade (11) my niece, but now also my baby
Jacob (6) Possible Aspergers, but we have to sort through his anger/abandonment issues first
Jackson (4) The sweetest little guy you will ever meet.
Busymommie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote