View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Glenntaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--that they are having you take antibiotics with the skin biopsy; do they sense you are prone to infection for some reason?

With all the skin biopsies I've had, never were oral antibiotics involved; they simply gave me topicals to apply to the area for a few days after the little bandages came off. The skin samples taken are so small and shallow that there is little chance of infection, I think, in non-immunocompromised individuals.
While reading some posts on skin biopsy, my understanding was : with skin biopsy, there might be chances of detecting cause of neuropathy that could not be detected in the bloodworks. This was told to me also by my earlier neurologist. Yesterday, during my initial visit with the neuro who will do the biopsy, he mentioned that the objective of the biopsy is to determine the presence of Small Fiber Nerve Neuropathy. After leaving the clinic, I remembered what my previous neurologist said about the possibility of finding a cause of neuropathy in the skin biopsy. I called the neurologist today and clarified my confusion. He confirmed that the only purpose of the skin biopsy is to determine whether I have a Small Fiber Nerve Neuropathy or not. He even added that he disagrees with what my previous neurologist said. He told me that it will still benefit the patient to take the skin biopsy for official diagnosis and what to do next.

I am confused with the contradicting statements. Though, I am being realistic with my expectations on the result of the skin biopsy, but I am still holding on to a thread of hope that something is causing this neuropathy.

Having had several skin biopsies yourself, I am hoping that you could enlighten me.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by Idiopathic PN; 03-14-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote