View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi,

How far are you from a major teaching hospital -- one usually associated with a university?
Psychiatrists there are often up to date on the latest research and protocols. Also, they can deal with people with complicated cases who are not properly treated in their communities.

Quote:
She also has rapid mood swings and periods of what I can only describe as mania and will talk a lot, be happier, be productive in things she wants to do like writing stories, drawing, well, anything but school work, but then she'll crash and be depressed, moody, weepy. She is constantly yelling at her brother and me and her dad for making too much noise, certain kinds of noises, etc.
I completely understand about the noise issue. Even those of us who are properly medicated have difficulty with sensory overload.

Possibly consider getting her some noise canceling headphones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-c...ing_headphones
While you are waiting for an appropriate diagnosis and possible medication/s, you can do things to reduce her sensory overload.
Also, help her get enough sleep. Sleep is an important part of staying stable. Does she get some regular exercise like walking to the same time everyday?

If you have not done so, get a major blood work up from her family medical doctor: thyroid, other hormones, and so on. Check Vit D, . . .

Some people have found the book Bipolar for Dummies to be useful. It has a section on impact on friends and families.

M