View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaforce View Post
I will ask for Meloxicam Rx. I wonder what is your dose and the indication?
I take meloxicam (15 mg/day - the max dosage) for arthritis/joint pain, when it's just too much too handle. It works quickly - within an hour; better with a potentiator like acetaminophen.

I don't get an aura or indication/warning for migraine - it just starts, but the faster/stronger I can hit it, the quicker/easier it goes away. Sitting still those first 2 hours is mandatory or I may as well take a placebo. Myofascial massage helps too, especially with the bad ones that make me nauseous and perspire profusely. Promethazine (an antihistsmine/potentiator) can help too. I've used maxalt as an abortive for years (none of the prophylactics worked, but I found other treatments like PT, myofascial trigger point massage, traction...) but I can no longer afford the maxalt, so I'm looking first for another (generic) triptan. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure - I'll have to keep digging into migraine treatment sites.

Topamax is very likely (IMO) a culprit for kidney stones; that was one of the reasons I refused it (along with more homework). When the neurologist first gave me the sample & scrip (only migraine sample I've ever gotten that came with a month's supply), it was accompanied by an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet warning about kidney stones with the medication. That was a first too.

I did try magnesium lactate after searching: best absorbed magnesium, and there were admonitions about folks with kidney complications taking any magnesium supplements, recommending intravenous (if deficient) or topicals like epsom salts.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote